We can produce architectural design solutions, for any given site, from initial feasibility sketches to detailed construction drawings. We also survey buildings and create accurate scaled drawings of existing properties and produce full-scaled planning application drawings.

Scientific Designs has considerable experience in designing a large range of developments, from domestic loft conversions, extensions and basements, through to larger scale commercial and residential construction projects. We always look for a solution that allows us to secure the optimal amount of usable floor space that is certain to obtain planning permission. Unlike some designers, we do not have an in-house design philosophy; we feel just as comfortable designing traditional brick-built houses, as we do contemporary structures using cutting-edge materials. Our flexibility in this respect means that we can focus on ensuring that you receive the product you want without unnecessary planning bureaucracy.

The Party Wall Act came into force throughout England and Wales in 1997. We can offer advice and act on your behalf through the entire party wall agreement process.

You will likely require a Party Wall Agreement or Award if you plan to do any of the following:

  • Carry out building works on a wall or structure shared with another property.
  • Construct a wall, either free-standing or part of a building, up to or abutting the boundary with a neighbouring property.
  • Excavate near a neighbouring property.

We can carry out a wide range of designs, calculations and other procedures to ensure our clients' developments meet building regulations. These include:

  • Full plan, application and building notice
  • Structural design
  • Foundation designs
  • Structural steel and timber calculations for lofts
  • New sewer connection permission
  • Gas Safety Certification
  • Tendering services
  • Electrical testing
  • Electrical wiring

If your planning permission is refused, you have the right to appeal against the council's decision. Scientific Designs can provide professional advice and guide you through the planning appeal process.

An independent government body called the Planning Inspectorate deals with planning application appeals. The Planning Inspectorate is independent to your local Borough Council and can disregard their planning policies, overturn a local planning permission refusal and grant planning permission.

We offer the following construction services:

  • New build – houses and commercial buildings
  • Extensions – single story or double story
  • Loft Conversions
  • Roof changes
  • Bathroom fitting and design
  • Kitchen fitting and design
  • Painting and decorating
  • Flooring and carpeting
  • Driveway construction
  • Damp proofing

We can help you obtain planning permission or a Lawful Development Certificate for the following:

  • New builds – commercial and residential
  • All outbuilding and extensions
  • Loft conversions with rear dormers
  • Basement development
  • Landscaping and garden design
  • Changes of use
  • Unauthorized developments – commercial and residential

We begin most building projects with a feasibility study, where the main goal is to establish the best design solutions for the project. We do this so that you feel completely confident that your requirements are fully understood and will be met by the design.

At the start of a feasibility study, we will visit you in the comfort of your home. One goal of this consultation is to establish whether your aims are achievable without planning permission, by using your home's permitted development rights. In addition to advising you on this, our designers may need to consult with local authorities to ascertain the feasibility and likelihood of approval of your proposed building works.

If you plan to build over, or within three metres of a public sewer, you will need to apply for permission from Thames Water. We can handle all aspects of your application, including structural calculations and architectural drawings.

Thames Water needs to assess any building work that may affect its sewers, in order to:

  • Prevent sewer collapse, damage to buildings and possible waste-water flooding and interruption to drainage from other properties.
  • Ensure that Thames Water staff have proper access to sewer.